Matthew J. Long, Family Law Attorney, Mediator, and Collaborative Professional
Los Angeles County California Ventura County Santa Barbara County San Luis Obispo County Attorney - Divorce and Family Law ADR - Mediator (ADR) Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorney
With over 30 years of experience as a family law attorney, Matthew Long takes a hands-on approach to every case, giving his clients the attentive personal service they deserve.
Matthew is one of the few lawyers in the Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo County areas who has the range of successful experience as a trial attorney (litigator), Mediator and a Collaborative Practitioner. His clients benefit from this unique combination of experience because he can assess their needs and provide direction and recommendations that are the best match for their situation.
Matthew, who was honored by his colleagues as Pro Bono Attorney of the Year in 2016, graduated Order of the Coif from Pacific McGeorge School of Law.
- 30 years Family and Civil Law experience.
- Small Claims Judge Pro Tempore for 11 years. Settlement Master for Family Law, Civil, and Unlawful Detainer for 12 years.
- Extensive Mediation and Collaborative Divorce training and experience.
- Graduated Order of the Coif from Pacific McGeorge School of Law.
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2016, Santa Barbara Superior Court
- Extensive Family Law trial experience in all aspects of custody, support, contempt, property and domestic violence matters.
- Skilled in using the DissoMaster guideline child and spousal software.
- 11 years of experience as Minor’s Counsel.
- Ability to accurately analyze income of self-employed individuals aided by: Training and experience in principles of finance and asset valuation.
- Counsel for Respondent: In re Marriage of Williams (2001) 88 Cal.App.4th. 808.
- Member of Santa Barbara Superior Court Family Law Rules Committee in 2010 and 2011.
- President of the Santa Barbara Collaborative Law Group since 2007, recruited Board of Directors, organized and conducted training events.
- Member of the Board of Directors for Santa Barbara Family Education, Inc. (i.e., Children in the Middle).
Relevant Professional Training
- CFLR Advanced Family Law Training 2011
- Minor’s Counsel Training – Santa Barbara County Bar Association 2008
- Various Advanced Collaborative Practice Training – I.A.C.P. 2006-2008 Basic Collaborative Law Training – Chip Rose, J. D. 2003
- Small Claims Mediation Internship – The Community Mediation Program 2000
- Basic and Intermediate Mediation Training – Judith Rubenstein, J. D. 2000
Juris Doctor with Distinction 1987-1990
- Pacific McGeorge of Law
- Order of the Coif. Class Rank: top 10%. American Jurisprudence
- Award in Contracts.
- Traynor Honor Society.
- Attorney and Supervisor for Community Family Law Clinic.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration 1983-1987
- California State University, Long Beach.
- Graduated with Honors.
- Emphasis in Finance and Business Administration.
I support my clients to achieve a peaceful divorce.